Tuesday, August 19, 2008

One Last Goodbye to Summer

Well maybe not the last, but school starts tomorrow. Tara ask if she could go swimming after supper, so she ran to get her suit and I hopped on the lawnmower.

Monday night was open house at school where the kids take their things and fill their lockers and desks in their new classrooms. I believe this helps the kids to feel a little more at ease on that first day. We found Tia's locker first and homeroom. She wasn't too excited to find it was in the gym. They have cubby's to store stuff, I can imagine it wouldn't be my first choice to keep my belongings in the gym. On the other hand it has to be most people's favorite class. Onto 4th grade, we had a call from Mrs Benedict that she would be Tara's teacher. She taught elder brother Tim and Tia, so we are excited. She introduced herself to Tara during tumbling and Tara recognized her when she peeked in her new classroom and Tara smiled. I think that was a thumbs up! She has a locker for her bookbag and another for her coat :) We said hello to each of the teachers and set up a meeting for Tuesday afternoon. Tia thought we spent way too much time, but I wanted Tara to feel comfortable with her new surroundings. She didn't get to see the music or art room, but Tia did show her the play ground.

I almost forgot the good part. Tara likes her sleep! We did a dry run...the girls had to go to bed early to get up early. Sunday I woke Tara up and she rolled out fairly quickly and ask about Tia, I said let's go wake her up. She went with me. Tia didn't want to roll out, so Tara went back to bed for another hour. Tia woke Tara up Monday morning. She jumped up got dressed and was ready to go in about 5 minutes. I think maybe a little disappointed to find out it wasn't this morning. Tuesday she did fine getting up and was excited when I said we were visiting the school again. We met alot of teachers. Tara will have three 4th grade teachers, as well as, music, art, pe and guidance. We also met the special ed teachers and the nurse. They all got to see Tara in action on the dry erase board and Tia taught her a card game (that was taught to her by Tara's teacher). Tara then showed how fast she caught onto it by showing the teachers. I showed the translator we have and said I would get a good supply of batteries for. I also need to pick up a English/Chinese dictionary. The principal Mr Fenster was able to share with us a test that will be given to Tara to help evaluate her level of knowledge. We aren't sure if it is at the right level, but it will give us a starting point. Most kids at this age have learned cursive writing, so that will be something I will work with Tara on if she will let me. wish me LOL!

The house is quiet...I think there are a couple of little girls here just a little bit excited for tomorrow. I hope it lasts...

No comments: