Sunday, August 17, 2008

Iowa State Fair

It's been a long week. We had a co-worker, manager of our branch office went on vacation and had his appendicitis burst. His week vacation turned into two. Someone from our office goes to the branch office to cover. It wasn't me, but it leaves one less person to help in our office. The phones have been non stop, which leaves little time to get the work done on my desk.

While we were on vacation I received an email from an adoptive parent. They have a child that knows Tara. They live in Canada and there is a two hour time difference. She wanted to know if her daughter (Xiao Yang now Li)could call and talk to Tara. I didn't get to be home, but I hear they talked for more than an hour. I hope someday she will tell us what all they talked about. Gene enjoyed the exchange of how the girls are alot alike. I hope we will be able to keep the girls in touch with each other.

I have been asked every day if we get to see Kasey, Kelsey. I explain that Kasey and Kelsey work at Adventureland, we have to wait. I was going to try to make connections this weekend, but had to many other things that needed done.

We didn't get left from home until after 9. Our first stop was Herold Trailer Sales in Indianola. We need a bigger camper and are looking for beds for each of us. They don't have what we need, but had fun looking at the different floor plans. Tara needed shoes for phys ed, the shoes are left at school. We stopped and got them first. My work gave Tara and Tia gift cards and we took time before the fair to go shopping. We ran through the sports department first. Nothing grabbed their eye. Onto the toys, it took a few minutes of looking and Tara found The Diamond Castle, Learning Laptop by Barbie. It looks like it will be a good learning tool, letters, vocabulary, shapes, colors, numbers, counting, logic, memory and music. Now mom needs to read the instructions to teach Tara everything it can do. Ugh.

Okay, onto the State Fair! We parked at the Capitol and rode the bus. Hy-Vee this year gave the employees tickets for entrance, a few rides and food. We worked our way through the fair with our tickets starting with corn dogs and ice cream. We checked out the ADI booth in the varied industries building and saw Doug McCauley with Central Iowa Builders giving a sales pitch. Tried to find the Iowa State booth, there were so many people we gave up. I'm a little nervous not wanting to take my eyes off my children. We rode the Ye Old Mill ride, it does not stop for mount and dismount. I pulled the camera out for a picture and realized it didn't have a memory card, so I carried the camera all over the fair for nothing. There would have been several good shots. I thought Tara would jump in beside me and she jumped in back. It is a dark ride in a boat. Okay more nerves. Next to the Big Slide. They loved it. Onto the Sky Ride...oops one way, now where. We stopped by the horse barn. No one seemed to interested, we did a few more rides and split a funnel cake. Next the snake house. Only two tickets, so I think I'll send the girls in without me. They enjoyed it and I enjoyed the rest. Tara wanted french fries and I wanted a strawberry smoothie. I was disappointed with mine, not sure about Tara. She did bring her leftovers home for her favorite dog Spike. Everyone is exhausted and we head back for the bus. It was after 6 when we got home and we enjoyed the evening discussing our day.

Gene, Tia and Tara went to church this morning. Tara's first time. Grandma enjoyed having her there. Believe it or not I am still not over my bronchitis. At 10 I started one of my coughing spells that lasted for an hour. I am getting better, but annoy alot of people. It is a beautiful day today and I have got my laundry done, washed and dried on the clothes line.

No comments: